Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reflections on New Media - Day 2

Day 2 class was a fruitful session. It provided me with the opportunity to learnt the various New Media tools available on the internet which could enhance learning and people connectivity.

Blogging - I have heard much about blogging over the past few years; but have not really got down into having hands on to understand how it worked. The 'learning by doing' theory yesterday provided me with new insights and understanding to how it works. It was a good experience on the whole.

The magic question is: "Will i start to use it now that i have learnt a new set of skills?' I think it very much depends on personal behavior as to whether one is a techy person, habitual, likes to learn and reflect on blogs etc... For me, i do not think i will because i still prefer the conventional way (ie: face to face, on telephones, books etc...) to get learning done :) (call me old school).....unless of course the organisation (or in this class) that i am working in 'induces' me to do so....

Social Bookmarking (Delicious.com) - This is totally new to me. I thought that the entire process of conducting this class was great - from using commoncraft.com to explaining how it works, grouping people together, setting up the personal accounts, conducting research work and after project discussions. It provided valuable insights to how it works and the exponential effects that it can bring to learning and people connection. I personally think there are a few things that will determine the success of the tool - Commonality among people, an organiser to ensure that infor is properly organised for easy reference, substantial information (both quality & quantity) to keep people wanting to come back to the site.  

Similarly, the magic question of whether i would apply what i had learnt? I think the answer is a straight yes. I would apply it to bringing like minded people together for applicable research work in the field of our jobs to maybe gain a better understanding and comparison of how our organisation vis-a-vis the outside world manages and view issues.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm I'm thinking even if I don't get to use sites like Delicious at work, I can perhaps introduce it as a potential resource in training classes which require students/partcipants to work on some project collaboratively :)

    As for blogging, I am definitely more intrinsically motivated if I get to blog about things that I am interested in. Not to say that I am not interested in New Media of cos :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the other question is one of logistical and infra. While Singapore is deeply immersed in technology, our organisation is still way behind in terms of embracing it.

    Most SAF camps lack the proper infra and logistics for us to utilise or implement anything meaningful.

    I think until we are prepared to think and 'behave' out of the box (I know MSD is going to jump and scream at this comment), we can never be truly 3G...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bengster. The culture will also need to be change. What about the core value that can only to pass down thru face to face interact and observation? By using new media, will this become the weak link?

    ReplyDelete